Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Encryption with Analysis Services 2005

As I understand it SSAS encrypts its data by default; however, I'm looking for strategies on encrypting data in the underlying datawarehouse. If you have a column encrypted in the datawarehouse, what are the options to expose that data, selectively of course, through Analysis Services? The only solution I've found is to bind a dimension to a view in the datasource and have that view decrypt the column. The dimension attribute could then be selectively exposed based on the role(s) the user has access to.

Is this the BEST way to do it? Are there other options and considerations? Are there any great whitepapers on this subject? I haven't found any myself.

Thanks in advance,

Terry

Havent seen any whitepapers on the subject.

Another idea for you to consider is to create a named query in Analysis Services DSV. See if you can use that to skip creating a view in relational database.

Edward Melomed.
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

|||I am working with SQL server 2005 analysis and reporting services. I am

instructed to create a cube for a database using analysis services and
then replicate it so as to produce reports online by reporting services

when requested by clients. I am able to create the cube and also deploy

the report made, in HTTP separately. But the following doubts arise
during the Cube deployment:

The Cube was created as per the requirements by my team lead. Then I
used the deployment wizard in the analysis services 2005 to convert it
into XML script. Using the SQL Management Studio I opened it as
Analysis Server scripts and used the local host as the system in the
connections windows then loaded the XML script into the Queries window
as a XMLA query and executed it. What has to be done after this in
order to use it as a production server?

Once the production server is setup and the connection is made with the

staging server, How can we set the timings to when the updating of the
production server has to be set in terms of hours, days or weeks?

Hoping these doubts would be clarified as early as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment